2021 VIRTUAL REU: May 17, 2021 - July 16, 2021
REU site “Research Projects in Data-Enabled Industrial Mathematics” at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) provides undergraduate students with opportunities to participate in authentic research projects in data-enabled industrial mathematics. Industrial mathematics is a relatively recent discipline concerned primarily with transforming technical, organizational, and data-enabled problems posed by business, industry, or government into mathematical problems.
The ultimate idea is to model the real-world industrial research experience, focusing on student growth and getting the students to interact with material at a level that goes beyond the regular classroom. The students will work collaboratively on problems provided directly by business, government, and industry.
Support for the program has been provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) through REU Award Number DMS - 2050754.
May 17, 2021 - July 16, 2021 (subject to small variation)
Due to COVID-19 restriction we are planning to run a virtual Research Experience for Undergraduate (REU) program this Summer.
STIPEND AND SUPPORT
Participating students will be provided with a stipend of $5,200 for the 9-week program.
- Applicants should be highly motivated and successful undergraduates with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, and have a strong interest in data driven projects.
- The program is open to all undergraduate students, regardless of major; however, the minimal recommended prerequisites are Statistics, Multivariable calculus and at least one course that includes coding experience.
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and must not have received their bachelor’s degree before the start of the summer program.
- Students are expected to commit to work 40 hours per week during the REU. Female students and underrepresented minority students are strongly encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND DEADLINES
Applications and supporting materials should arrive by March 10, 2021 to ensure full consideration. Early applications are encouraged. Decisions will be announced by April 15, 2021.The following information is required along with each application:
- Unofficial transcripts. A legible scan of an official transcript is preferred. Your name and the institution’s name must be clearly displayed on the transcript. Official transcripts may be required upon admission into the program.
Please have your Academic Transcript ready for upload as a single PDF file before beginning this application.
- A personal statement listing your background in mathematics, programming experience and data science, any previous research experiences and explaining why you wish to participate in the program, what careers you are considering, and how you expect our program to benefit you. (2 pages max)
- Contact information for two faculty/mentors that have been requested to provide recommendations.
Your References will be notified as to where they should send their recommendation.
Please make sure you have an accurate email address for them and let them know you are applying for this program PRIOR to submitting your application.
Please have all requested documents as PDF files before beginning the application.
The ERAU REU application form for the 2021 summer program is available online: APPLY HERE
Please contact REU site coordinator Dr. Berezovski at firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiry about REU Site and application process.